Wednesday, November 16, 2016

Alter Bridges the gap from Pretentious to Perfect Lead Singer

My praise for Myles Kennedy has been noted on this blog several times.  Even a few posts back I was writing on how he is an incredible lead singer.  As I mentioned, in the Louder Than Life post,  his band Alter Bridge is incredible and not to be missed live.  With the bands new album titled The Last Hero I had to give a good listen and review, so here we go.

I knew about Myles and heard some of Alter Bridge on SXM's Octane but that was the amount of knowledge I had on the band before this release.  The album is great and I decided to dig into the band.  Surprise, surprise the band behind Myles is the critics favorite Creed.  (Yes,  that is sarcasm,the critics Hated Creed and I agreed with the Critics somewhat)   So with this knowledge it might explain my instant enjoyment of Alter Bridge.  Follow me here , Creed was a great 90's band with a talented but Self Absorbed Pretentious lead singer in Scott Stapp.  I really liked the band but I couldn't get past Scott.  So for the second time  (see my review of Slash's solo album) Myles has stepped in and brought a band to where I can really dig them.

The release is solid melodic heavy hard rock.  The band lays down tasty hard rock groves and Myles delivery soars with them.  One of the great things about the band is that they are Hard Rock but with many more musical layers that sets this band apart.  The first release Show Me a Hero is a soaring rock anthem that has a message not missed on this listener during the Campaign season.  My Champion has some outstanding guitar tracks. The title track drives home the dark theme of the release and ends a gem of an album.

Myles Kennedy with his band Alter Bridge delivers a great CD which is almost as good as they are live.  The Last Hero is diffidently to be listened to.

Til next time , listen to the best - your ears deserve it.

1 comment: