Saturday, July 2, 2016

Don Felder's Fingers still fly without the Eagles

I recently watched the Eagles documentary The History of the Eagles.  What an interesting story and great characters.  What hit me the most was the dynamic between Glenn Frey and Don Felder.  It's not good to speak ill of the dead, but I felt more for Don Felder after watching the documentary.  So I looked up Don Felder  on ITunes and found a newer release from 2012.  Don Felder has been on tour with Styx and Foreigner (sort of foreigner not any real original members) and after seeing some of the tour on AXIS TV I do regret not seeing it in person.

I have always liked Don Felder's guitar playing with the Eagles. Some neat back story on Don Felder; He is from Gainesville Florida and taught Tom Petty how to play guitar and learned slide guitar from Duane Allman. Don Felder did great work with Crosby & Nash and support with Neil Young before adding a needed Rock edge to the Eagles.  His post Eagles work had some great stand outs, like two tracks on the Heavy Metal sound track.  My love for the Heavy Metal soundtrack is well known and I thought his two tracks were great. So I really looked forward to listening to the new release and I was not disappointed.

Road to Forever was released in 2012 and has 16 tracks of wonderful classic rock.  The first released track You Don't Have Me is a solid classic rock track that is timeless.  Don Felder's guitar work on the album is wonderful as always he shows us on how he earned his nickname Fingers and his vocals are strong.  I guess that is my take away from this album is that the tracks are a rock sound that could have been released any era and sound right at home.

If you want to listen to some timeless rock I would give Don Felder's Road to Forever album a listen.

Til next time, listen to the best - your ears deserve it!


No comments:

Post a Comment