Tuesday, June 14, 2016

I Don't Care Anymore, a track so awesome it got two covers

As I have mentioned many times on this blog I love the fact that the new Metal and Hard Rock bands give love and respect to the artist who came through earlier by doing some great covers.  For this post I am going to look at two bands who within months covered a great song. Neither are as good as the original but one comes close.

For the original and best version of this song I give you Phil Collins, again.  I know I just reviewed one of Phil's albums just a few weeks ago  but give me a break.  The song covered is from Phil's next release in 82.  The track is I Don't Care Anymore.  There are very few artists who can do a better pissed off, I am Over it, F you song.  The track starts off with pounding drums light synch and Phil's lyrics.  Like his similar dark  work on In The Air Tonight,  the tone is ominous and awesome.  I Don't Care Anymore is either 1 or 1A of my favorite Phil Collin's songs.

The tribute that is almost as good, in my opinion, is from the Metal Band Hell Yeah.  Hell Yeah is a newer Metal supergroup with the drummer Vinnie Paul from Pantera.  The cool thing about this cover is some of the guitar tracks are from the late Dimebag Darrell.  For those who don't know Dimebag was wastefully  killed by a crazed fanatic in 2004 on stage during a concert.  It is a awful thing to happen and we are lucky that at least some of Dimebag's music can live on.  Even without the cool feature with Dimebag I prefer this cover.  I feel it is edger.  The way the lyrics are delivered to start the track which are half sung and half growled leads to a feeling of hinted violence and deep rage.  The guitars are played up more on this version and it is rawer.  I like the fact that Hell Yeah decided to add their flavor to the song, sometimes that can go back but fortunately it works on this track.

Oddly enough the next version was released only a month earlier from the Hell Yeah version.  Saint Ansonia is a Hard Rock band out of Canada.  I heard this release earlier on Sirius XM's Octane channel and thought it was great.  Upon the more I listen to the track and the release of Hell Yeah's version I don't think it is so great anymore.  Don't get me wrong I still like Saint Ansonia's take but it doesn't add anything.  Saint Ansonia's version is very faithful to Phil Collin's, almost too faithful.  You don't have to reinvent the wheel but give me something new, cause if you don't why should I listen to anything you have to say if it isn't at least a little different.

Clearly the best version of I Don't Care Anymore is the Phil Collin's version, but it is great to know that new bands are giving respect to the great artists who came before.

Til next time, listen to the best  - your ears deserve it.


No comments:

Post a Comment