Saturday, March 12, 2016

Master of Puppets Masters the test of time

Listening to Ozzy's Boneyard, yeah not Octane this time, the DJ said that it was the 30th anniversary of Metallica's Master of Puppets.  Really?  I guess it is so. My earliest members of band are from high school.

Now I wasn't one of the Burn Out Metal Heads back then, but I did appreciate the music so I knew some of Metallica.  I even remember when Cliff Burton died, it was a sad time and shame to lose a great bass player.  So that being said I never bought a Metallica CD until the Black Album, but I did hear the songs at friends houses.

So I revisited Master of Puppets.  I can see how this release started their march to rule the Metal and Hard Rock world.  The songs are both still showing their Trash Metal roots but at the same time showing the complex arrangements that would lead to their godlike status in the Metal world.

Master of Puppets the title track of the release keeps its anger and edge still 30 years later, the other track that still rings true in this age is Disposable Hero's.  Hero's is a track showing the unfairness and class differences in who has to pay the real price in war.  Leaper Messiah could be at a few politician's rallys lately.  Listening with headphones is the only way to really get into the Cthulhu anthem The Thing that Should not Be.  Finally I have heard the roots of my beloved Dethklok in the masterpiece Orion.

It's hard not to compare Master of Puppets to what the band has put out lately, so I won't because the new pales strongly.  What I can say is that 30 years later this release still standout for how great Metal can be.

Til next time, listen to the best -  your ears deserve it.

No comments:

Post a Comment